At CERTUS, our vision is to be recognized globally as an innovative leader in food safety by providing a rapid pathogen detection system that offers an unmatched combination of the simplest workflow, precise results, and in-house plant management. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois we are actively seeking talented people to help us grow our business. As part of our expansion into the North American market, CERTUS is hiring a,
An exciting opportunity at a startup brand within an existing company, the System Engineer will be primarily responsible for all product development engineering and technical support of the CERTUS Detection Units (CDU) in operation at customer sites. The CERTUS System is comprised of an Analytical Instrument, a User Interface on an iPad and a Consumable Diagnostic Test Kit. The Systems Engineer is responsible for management of product improvements and updates based on customer feedback including Hardware, Software and Consumable engineering changes.
Work Location: Chicago, IL Office Report to: Chief Operating Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Sustaining Engineering responsibilities include supporting the existing CDU through product and process improvements, quality management and improvements, cost reduction initiatives, alternative component selection and approval, and software enhancements in collaboration with CERTUS software engineers.
2. Support Development of the CERTUS Field Service initiative through training and development of Field Service Technicians in root cause analysis, corrective actions, coordinating engineering change orders, hands-on installation at customer sites, and customer training as needed.
1. Be responsible for refining and meeting project goals for performance, schedule, and cost.
2. Manage software engineering roadmap and staff.
3. Regularly report to Executive Management on project progress via Microsoft Project.
1. Develop product training, demonstration, and maintenance programs.
2. Develop Field Service Strategy in coordination with Field Service Manager.
3. When required, travel to new customer sites to support initial installation and training.
1. Coordinate engineering changes with factory in Japan as needed.
2. Implement quality metrics during early production phases; transition new CDU into sustaining engineering.
3. Maintain the integrity and quality of CDU, ensuring conformance to specifications and compliance with all regulatory requirements, including FDA, MDD, UL, CSA, etc.
4. Develop sustaining engineering strategies and execute said strategies.
1. Continue to develop existing CDU for next-generation strategies and roadmap development.
2. Create and maintain product roadmap plans in coordination with Director of Product Development and Executive Management.
1. BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or other related technical field
2. Project management training
3. MBA a plus
1. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in scientific/life sciences instrumentation, semiconductor, or similar equipment
2. Demonstrated success leading a complex product development program from concept to market introduction
3. Hands-on systems engineering experience in at least three of the following areas: stages, motion control, temperature control, automation, lasers, spectroscopic detectors, electronics
4. Software management experience, or cross-functional experience guiding development of instrument control and applications software
1. Expert user of Microsoft Project
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; ability to communicate in Japanese a plus.
3. Strong coordination, organization, team building, and communication skills
4. Works well individually or in a group setting
5. Ability to work under pressure and with time constraints
6. Ability to successfully present technical information
Physical and Mental Requirements:
1. The ability to travel by car, air, boat, train and bus both domestically and internationally
2. Able to independently move and/or lift heavy packages (up to 50-lbs)
3. The ability to walk, stand, turn, climb, kneel, sit for extended periods, reach, lift, carry, push, talk, hear and see are basic requirements
4. The ability to use an office phone, cell-phone, fax, photocopier, computer keyboard, laptop and other electronic business tools and related software
5. Mental requirements include, but are not limited to, the ability to concentrate, take initiative, cope with stress, adapt to and stay alert in a business environment and use independent judgment to accomplish all Duties and Responsibilities and Goals
6. Able to work in an office environment with extended periods of sitting at a desk
7. Periodic evening teleconferences or videoconferences with Asia requiring shift change or over-time at company discretion
CERTUS is a Chicago-based food safety industry start-up backed by the 200-year-old Japanese industrial innovator Toho Technology. The CERTUS System is a proprietary rapid food pathogen platform capable of detecting a variety of food borne pathogens with game-changing simplicity, precision, and efficiency.
For more information, visit www.certusfoodsafety.com.